Random Thoughts Before I Start My Workday

  1. Can’t wait until tomorrow. I’m taking the day for a little personal time and to work on my manuscript. The kids will be at day care so I’ll have eight hours all to myself.


  2. Also tomorrow, The Wiggles are coming in concert to Boston. We’re taking both kids, and I’m kind of looking forward to it. We’ll pick up the kids in the afternoon, go into the city for an early, kid-friendly dinner, and then it’s Wiggle Time! (Did I just say that?)


  3. Hope I don’t get bogged down in housework, which I tend to do when I want to avoid my manuscript.


  4. Most of the leaves have fallen off the trees in New England. We live on a tree-lined street, so I find nothing sadder than tree skeletons barren of green leaves.


  5. I really hope the Democrats take back Congress in November.


  6. One of my next posts will be about compiling a book list for 2007. If you haven’t guessed, I’m a planner. But as a writer and technician, reading things that pull me out of my comfort zone will help me be a better craftsman …eh … craftsperson.


  7. I’ve got to start exercising—I’ve put it off way too long. I hate paying for a gym that I don’t use even though I know gym time will recharge my batteries. So I’ve got to get away from my computer and move once in a while.


  8. Since my birthday is in February, I’m thinking about having a chocolate party. It will be adults only, I’ll have appetizers and lots of chocolate goodies, and a signature chocolate drink for the night. Can you tell I’ve been thinking about this one for a while?


  9. Also in late February, I’m planning on attending the AWP conference in Atlanta. I’ve been on the fence about going. I mean, I don’t to go if I don’t have a different story to tell about my writing career. Does that make sense? I tend to see a lot of the same people at these conferences so it would be nice to say, “Yes, my manuscript is under consideration.” Or, “I have a few poems in publications coming out next year.” But maybe I’m looking at this all wrong. Maybe I should go to strengthen my connections in the poetry community—remind editors and other poets that I’m still out here working away. I don’t know. Why do I need this validation?


  10. Another plus about going to Atlanta is that my grandparents, aunt, and my best friend lives there. I can see them; stay for free; and take my daughter, who has not been properly introduced to my mother’s side of the family.


  11. Recently, I’ve wanted to visit my parents in Virginia just to surprise them. I may do it in the next few weeks.


  12. I can’t blog or respond to other’s blogs as much as I would like. But I think that’s a good thing. Maybe it will keep me from burning out as so many bloggers have recently. To my surprise, my blog has become my most useful writing tool. Who’d of thunk it?


  13. Didn’t think I’d have anything to talk about, but, as it turns out, I had a lot to get off my chest.

Comments

Yeah for personal time!!! I hope you are productive on the page, not the house...that work can wait while the words cannot! Enjoy it...
Anonymous said…
Enjoy your day off tomorrow--blog at the END, when you can write about your successes, and not as a distraction during the day.
Writer Bug said…
Nice list. I agree with Erin--blog last, and clean never! good for you for taking the time for yourself. I can't wait to hear what you do with it. And I better be invited to your chocolate party. :) (just kidding)
Catherine said…
I do find that blogs are useful for getting the writing flowing - mine reminds me that there is much richness tucked away in my quiet little life. That said, there's a lot to be said for moving on from blogging to other writing. I hope you don't give it up though, all my favourite bloggers seem to be disappearing.
Eight hours to write - wow! I'm not sure if I could concentrate that long. Good for you for doing it.
mareymercy said…
I can't believe you just said you were looking forward to a Wiggles concert. Are you going to load up on tea with seventy-five sugars in it and go Wiggle-wild while you're there? I can just picture it now...
Catherine said…
I just found this book that I thought might interest you on how to put together a book of poems:
Ordering the Storm
(hope the link works)
kj said…
hello, i hope you don't mind that i've visited. i'm a writer readying to be published also, so i relate.

and i'm a new englander whose also watching the leaves fall.

best wishes!

kj
January said…
Catherine: thanks for the book link, I'll check it out.

Twitches: I've cut down to 71 sugars per cup, I'll have you know!

KJ: Thanks for stopping by. Can't wait to visit your blog.

Popular Posts