I'm a Times New Roman Girl

Didn't think a Slate article about fonts would be interesting, but I was wrong. Shame on me, considering I know a hell of a lot about fonts--even have a poem or two about them.

For the record, I had a Brother word processor that I won as a result of a bet. Admittedly, the bet was scribbled on a napkin in a South Carolina bar over tequila, but that's another story (and it's a GOOD one!).

Long ago, I used to work for a retail cookie chain--not Mrs. Fields--and my former district manager said that if I stayed on for another year he would buy a word processor for me. I stayed, and he fulfilled his end of the deal. (He's one of the good guys.) Anyway, the processor's default font was Courier, and the machine lasted all through my undergrad college experience. Once I got my first computer for grad school, and IBM Aptiva, I'm pretty sure the WordPerfect default font was Times. So I've stuck with the Times family ever since. It's a great everyday font that transfers 98 percent of the time to Macs when sharing files. And it looks elegant without being pretentious.

I'm also partial to Galliard and Georgia (the Blogger composing font). But enough about my favorite fonts. Tell me about yours.

Comments

Catherine said…
That's strange, my blogger composing font seems to be Tacoma. At least, if I copy and paste to Word, that's what it tells me it is. I kind of like Wingdings and Zapf Dingbats :) Otherwise I don't pay too much attention. I used one called "Igloo" when I did a project on the local Antarctic Centre.
January said…
I like the sound of Wingdings and Dingbats. But Igloo--not that's cool! (Pun intended.)
Deirdre said…
I love fonts, but don't have a favorite. It all depends on my mood. It disappoints me that blogger is so limited. Some days I feel more flowery and wish I could dance the letters across the screen.
GreenishLady said…
Times New Roman here, too. Sometimes Georgia, and Comic Sans Serif if I'm doing a flier or notice. I never give it a lot of thought - but I must give it some thought, when I do go to change it. I'd really like Blogger to allow changes to enable me to differentiate between sections in a post (as in shifting from the blurb to the poem itself)
January said…
I like Comic Sans but it's overused in my workplace. That's the font used for events when they're supposed to be more about fun and less about work. (as if!).

Blogger is limited in many respects, including the fonts. I hope the powers that be continue to improve the platform over time.
claireylove said…
Well I tend to write in Times New Roman because that's all that was acceptable when I was writing for university ~ though I blog in Georgia and email in Arial.

(And Greenish Lady ~ I have no problem shifting fonts in blog posts. Could be your browser?)
Becca said…
I type in Arial all day long at work, so when I come home to write I like to use something else. On blogger I sometimes use one called Verdana or Trebuchet - I like those for poetry.

My son is a grahpic designer and he has thousands of fonts at his fingertips! Such fun to play with...
Catherine said…
When I blog in Safari most of the formatting options except for the load photo one just don't show up. so I have had to learn to put in the html myself for italics, bold etc. I always assumed I could do the same thing if I wanted to change fonts. I must try it sometime. I'm sure one of my geek kids can tell me the appropriate html code to use.
Jan, Wingdings and Dingbats aren't letter fonts, they put in a range of symbols like the little scissors that you can use to indicate "cut along the dotted line". Or a box for a check box. They come as standard in my version of Word. I haven't seen Igloo anywhere for a while. It had little snowy caps on the letters, which was obviously appropriate for that particular assignment, but I've never used it before or since.
Kay Cooke said…
I have a fondness for Georgia myself - and Verdana and Helvetica. But if I try out too many, I become confused. Some people HATE some fonts with a vengeance. For example, someone I know can't stand Palatino ... Know your fonts!
Tafari said…
As a graphic designer, I am a font horder but I think my over all favorite font is Arial. Boring I know but it looks so good.

Bygbaby

Popular Posts