Seattle: Day 2












Day 2 in Seattle looked a lot like day one: overcast, no rain, and a blur of activity.

I spent yesterday afternoon at Highline Community College with students who I believe were both high school and college students. I gave a mid-morning talk and taught in Susan Rich's afternoon class. I think it went well--I was happy with my presentations. Since I don't teach regularly, I'm always critical of myself in a classroom setting.

My thanks to Susan and the folks at HCC for making me feel so welcome.

****

I'm currently hanging out at a Starbucks that overlooks the Puget Sound. Susan and I managed to get in a writing session here last night, so I'm revising my drafts. We've been talking a lot about the East Coast/West Coast poetry scenes. So very interesting this pobiz we are in. And the more I read, the less I seem to know about contemporary poetry.

****

Books I have picked up on my visit:

Marth Silano, The Little Office of the Immaculate Conception
Frances McCue, The Bled
Don Me Choi, The Morning News Is Exciting
Jess Walter, The Financial Lives of Poets (fiction)

****

The one time I'm in town, Open Books is closed! Drat! The owners are taking a vacation. Drat! Drat! Drat!

****

Went to Poppy for dinner and had a true culinary experience. Thalis, anyone?

****

My view from Starbucks.

Comments

Sorry about Open Books. You'll just have to come back then. ;-)

Popular Posts