Random Thoughts from a Barnes & Noble
1. How is it that those little 2" x 2" books at the checkout counters sell? 365 Days of Gratitude. 55 Travel Tips. Living Your Dream. How much wisdom can be gained from a book smaller than my cell phone? Those authors must be rich.
2. Why can't I think of a concept for one of those tiny books? I'd make oodles of money. Scads of money. Then I could earn enough cash to support my family and my poetry, while giving my husband a golf allowance. (Tim's always said that he would be a stay-at-home dad as long as he had a golf allowance.) Now that's living a dream!
3. If I ever do publish, please please please let me never end up at in the $1 clearance bin.
4. I really have a thing for Justin Timberlake. I'm not denying it anymore.
5. How many people have fingered through the magazine I just bought?
6. If I'm not publishing my poems in print, or making money with it, does that make my poetry a vocation or a hobby?
7. I am a poetry anthology junkie but today I can't find a decent one. They are equivalent to the pu-pu platters at Chinese restaurants--they offer the best nibbles when looking for a lot of different tastes. Did settle on Word of Mouth: Poems Featured on All Things Considered.
8. Burnt my mouth on hot chocolate. Why does it have to be so damn hot?