Fest Recap

Yesterday I attended the New Works Literary Festival.

It was fun being part of such a talented group of Boston-area writers. This was my first time participating in a festival like this. I mean, usually I’m an organizer, not a featured reader. Of course, any chance I get to read with the lovely and talented Erin Dionne (I don’t think I can write her name without “lovely and talented” before it) is reward enough.



The foot traffic was lighter than expected, but I found the event to be well organized from start to finish. I’m sure the AWP Conference must have started with just a handful of people and big dreams for the future.


While I enjoyed reading my poems, the best part of the festival preparing for it. Since my book would not be out until November, I had to prepare marketing materials. So I leaned on a few friends last minute (shout out to MJ and CT!) to create postcards and posters using the book cover.


Here’s a list of marketing materials I’m using for press kits/promotional.

  1. Oversized postcard
  2. Poster with book blurb (for table displays)
  3. Sample poems
  4. Business cards
  5. Sheet with photo and bio
  6. Newspaper article about me from 2008.
  7. Publisher’s catalog
  8. My page in the catalog
  9. About the publisher sheet


(I’d show you what my table looked like but the book cover is still under wraps until summer.)




All in all, it was a great experience. Looking forward to attending next year’s event.

Comments

Collin Kelley said…
Sounds like solid marketing strategy to me. Glad you had a good time.
Maya Ganesan said…
Looks like fun! I'm dying to see your cover.
Kay Cooke said…
I must take noes for the marketing of my next book! You have some great ideas there.

Popular Posts