Weekend Update

I am at home with my parents in Norfolk (pronounced Naw-fuk), VA. Mom is good—she was released from the hospital and is resting now. Not as bad as I imagined, and I'm glad I made the trip.

****

Thanks for all the well wishes. She's tickled that folks have taken the time to comment. I am, too.

***

In order to get out of the house yesterday, I found this voice inside of me giving me permission to leave. It said things like, “It’s OK to leave toys in the middle of the floor." "It’s OK that I didn’t go to the grocery store last night—they won’t starve.” "It’s OK to go and take care of my mother for a few days.” "It’s OK, Jan. Just go."

****

But at the airport, my son was in tears. I underestimated how upset Alex would be, which, in turn, made me underestimate upset I would be. I cried all through the first leg of my journey. Even when I turned to walk away from the car. I found myself saying, "It’s OK to leave him,” but I didn’t believe me.

****

It’s 74 and partly sunny in Norfolk. Tonight I'm having dinner with an old friend. Life is good.

****
Waiting patiently for the poems to come. NaPoWriMo, baby!

Comments

Maya Ganesan said…
Oh, yes. Waitin' for April.
Collin Kelley said…
One of my best friends lives in Portsmouth, so I love that whole P-N area. Have fun!
Anonymous said…
so glad things are looking good, even though it's hard to be away from the kids. you never know how they're going to react! so sad to see you go, but they'll be so happy to see you when you get home.
Glad to hear about your mom...good wishes to her.
Erin said…
I'm sorry that leaving was so hard on the kids, but glad you're there for both of your parents.

Thinking of you this week!
Catherine said…
Children can always put on a good show when you are leaving, but he probably stopped almost as soon as you were out of sight. The fact that he was upset just shows what a good Mom you are.
Hope your own Mom is better soon
January said…
Thanks Catherine. Mom is doing much better. We may post a picture today.

Popular Posts