Confession Tuesday

It's Tuesday! Y'know … the bridge between Monday and Wednesday? Time to share a little of yourself and we'll do the same. Don't forget to check in on the folks doing time in The Confessional. If you'd like to be added to The Confessional list, let me know.


What is it about fall brings out my self-reflective side? In my last post on the authentic self, I talked about getting out of my own way. But I never mentioned the things that keep me from being the person I want to be. The truth is, I'm riddled with character flaws. Here are a few.

  • I overcommit my time to projects I could care less about, which causes me to procrastinate
  • I have a hard time saying no
  • I'm fickle
  • I'm a perfectionist
  • I'm controlling


I spend much of my energy suppressing these traits; rather, I'm pretty good at turning a negative into a positive. For instance, I procrastinate when I have too many to-do's, but waiting until the last minute helps me to organize and prioritize the important stuff first.

****

Also, I spend a lot of time wondering if I'm making the rights choices for the kids. Am I doing the right things for them? Am I too hard on them, and how will that influence them as adults? Ugh.

****

I like confessing in the early morning under the cover of darkness before the kids wake up.

****

Last week, I turned in my galley edits and now I'm waiting on the approved copy to be blessed by the powers that be. Once this is done, it's my hope that Underlife will come back in late November, just in time for the holidays!

****

While I am trying to pare down my activities, it won't happen anytime soon. On tap this week are the completion of two articles, sending in an application to read at a poetry festival in '10, completing an interview for a lit journal, and working on the Misery poem. My hope is to finish the poem this weekend.

****

My biggest task this week: finalizing plans for the book launch par-tay. Woo hoo! Crab cakes and okra for everyone!

Comments

Hi January,

This post feels very familiar to me. I too find myself being much more reflective and self-reflective in the fall where summer is much more a "be in the moment" time and it's sunny, we're all good.

And it seems you and I are bonded with the same character flaws! Oh it would be so boring if we were perfect. ;-)

Good post. I appreciate your honest.
Anonymous said…
do you have a date yet for the launch party? i *think* i remember you mentioning it but i am not sure.

it was wonderful to see how much energy is behind the misery poem. when you talked about it at our dinner, you were on fire for it. i haven't seen it, of course, but i see the energy it has for you and i'm excited about it!
January said…
I confess, Carolee, I spend a lot of time looking at my long poem but not actually revising it. Hope to maintain that energy and finish the damn thing this weekend.
January said…
I'll send you an update on the par-tay in an e-mail. Thanks!
January said…
Kelli, I wish we lived closer. I think I would be hanging out with you in your shed trying to figure it all out!

Yes, how boring life would be if we were perfect!
Jessie Carty said…
except for the kids, i thought i was reading about myself with this post :)

saying no is a very hard thing isn't it!
Odessa said…
january, i was so inspired by your previous post that i forced myself to sit down, reflect, and write about my authentic self. thanks again!

here's my confession
Yes, please add me to the Confewssional (oh, I sound like Elmer Fudd)

I mean Confessional. I *heart* you all....

Popular Posts