My Authentic Self
First, I think this is the person I was meant to be. I live my life without regrets. I mean, everything I’ve ever done has brought me to this point, and from my point of view this is a pretty good spot (mother, poet, careerist, community advocate). So the question becomes, “How do I get out of my own way?” Or, how do I stop being the person I don’t want to be?
What I’m focused on now is paring away at the projects, jobs, and tasks that I don’t enjoy, and making space for the people and projects that bring me joy. Life is too damn short not to provide the best life for my kids and me. It’s short and it’s always changing. So I am (re)dedicating myself to my own personal truth. Here’s what I know.
- I want to live every day as if it’s my last
- I want my kids to continue to grow up healthy and happy
- I want to be a loyal and supportive family member, friend, and community member
- I am a lifelong learner; poetry and literature is my vocation
- I love food
- My personal wealth is not based on my bank account, but on the richness in of my life
- I take pleasure in work; more specifically, I take great pleasure in a job well done
- I am stronger than I give myself credit for
My authentic self will change over time, but these are my core values. This is what I believe to be true.