Confession Tuesday

It’s Tuesday, that day firmly planted between Monday and Wednesday. I know you have something to confess. Share a little of yourself with us and we promise to do the same. Don’t forget to say hello to the folks hanging out in The Confessional.


Yesterday, I spent more than three hours total shoveling heavy, wet snow. In fact, I bribed the kids with a pizza to enlist their help me. (Pizza works every time!) They did their best, my little troopers!


Every time I lifted the shovel, I thought my ribs would crack. Usually, my neighbors are good about offering to help dig me out, but not yesterday. Everybody was in their own little world. Can’t blame them at all, really. I know, I know—time to buy a snow blower. I’m hoping I can make it through the winter without making such an expensive purchase.


****


I confess that was a gripe and not a confession.


****


Professionally, I’m busier than ever—January has been an amazing month. I’m coming off a week where I had four readings scheduled. Each had its own unique audience; I learned a little something from all of them. It’s rare but nice when the stars align themselves for me, and for that I’m eternally grateful.


****


Had a brief conversation last night with Collin Kelley! We’re working on scheduling dates for an Atlanta reading. I confess that his Georgia accent made me homesick for the South.


****


Not a day goes by that I don’t think about moving back to Virginia.


****


My kids recently discovered Beyonce’s song, “Single Ladies,” via the Alvin and the Chipmunks movie trailer running on television. We watched her video and since then, they have been singing and dancing to it all weekend.


Kids have a unique way of interpreting lyrics. My daughter likes to sing, “I’m a single lady, I’m a single lady!” Then my son chimes in,” I’m a single man, I’m a single man!” It’s really too cute for me to correct them.


****


Happy Tuesday, and thanks for reading this blog! *smile*


Comments

omg, that is the cutest with single ladies!

We love that song too. Now put your hands up... if you like it than you should have put a ring on it...

I hope to be Beyonce when I grow up.
Anonymous said…
i confess that poetry/writing is NOT the most important thing to me in this cosmos. am confessing this because i read somewhere that in order to be poet laureate (my goal to be reached likely after jan takes the role) you need to be OBSESSED with poetry. which means poetry has to be THE most important thing in the cosmos, or equal to other important things. sorry poetry gods/muses. not so for moi! please let me be laureate someday :) despite this infraction...

from jennifer jean
Jessie Carty said…
i confess - i groaned when i saw the trailer for the chipmunks -squequel- or whatever they are calling it!

and i confess that i have many excuses for not eating well this week but they are still excuses!
Odessa said…
yes, i agree, your kids are the cutest. i can only imagine them singing single ladies!

don't have any confession for this week but i did update my blog re: my trip back home :)
January said…
Odessa, I will be by today to say hello. Welcome back! :)
January said…
Jessie, since Chipmunks movie is PG, I can avoid taking my kids to see it for a while. But I'm with you--I groaned, too.

*sigh*

Jennifer, I definitely think poetry is one of the most important things in the universe, next to family, friends, and good health. But I have a feeling a laureateship is in your future. :)


Kelli, you and me both. Maybe I could be Beyonce AND poet laureate when I grow up!
Unknown said…
The South, it calls, huh? Somehow, I don't think it's the snow that's keeping you up in the North.

Thanks for sharing the story of your kids singing. That's fantastically adorable.
Collin Kelley said…
Can't wait to meet you in person after all this blogging! :)
Jim K. said…
If the terrain suits,
you might be able to
use a 'snow scoop'.
I got one last year...
works better than the blower
on slushy stuff. Easy on
the back, but works the
legs and arms hard..

I confess poetry has become
a compulsion. All I can do to
transcribe it. Need to cut down,
get time for rework, submission.
January said…
Jim, I'll check out the snow scoop! I can barely get out of my driveway.

Poetry is a bit of a compulsion for me, too. I need to make time for revision, too.

Are you applying for a MCC grant?

Popular Posts