Friday, May 21, 2010


I’m slogging through one of my many to-do lists. I’m getting things done, such as organizing dates, coordinating kids’ schedules, getting reading for summer camps, really mundane things that really give me a sense of calm once completed. It’s nice being able to control the controllables.


Writing has taken a back seat to revision. I’ve been weeding through my manuscript, making notes and moving poems around. For me, the process is anxiety-filled yet satisfying at the same time. I’ve had enough distance from the work that I can really serve the poems. I can strip away much of the emotion and really take out words and phrases that don’t fit. And, I’m able to add lines here and there to flesh them out.


On the agenda this weekend: T-ball, play dates, gardening, poetry, and a little adult time at the Home Grown Festival. I’m really looking forward to this fun little gathering to benefit the Beverly Library. Should be a hoot.


Call for work: Gulf Coast poems

Poets for Living Waters is a poetry action in response to the Gulf Oil Disaster of April 20, 2010, one of the most profound man-made ecological catastrophes in history. Former U.S. poet laureate Robert Pinsky describes the popularity of poetry after 9/11 as a turn away from the disaster’s overwhelming enormity to a more manageable individual scale. As we confront the magnitude of this recent tragedy, such a return may well aid us.

No comments:


Related Posts with Thumbnails