Monday, September 06, 2010

Labor Day

Happy Labor Day. Hope folks in the U.S. are enjoying a day off from work.

Since I'm kid-free this weekend, I had every intention of knocking everything off of my to-do the list. HA! I did manage to go to Erin Dionne's annual Labor Day BBQ:--lots of fun. So today is a Labor Day of sorts for me, as I work through the items on my list, which makes my list a Labor of Love List!


On Saturday, Jennifer and I made a pilgrimage to the Grolier Poetry Book Shop in Cambridge, the oldest poetry bookstore in the country. Unfortunately, they were out of the books I wanted to purchase; Thomas Sayers Ellis' Skin, Inc., Terrance Hayes' Lightheaded, Rita Dove's Sonata Mulattica (everyone I know who has read Rita's book says it's amazing), and Major Jackson's Holding Company. Great for the bookstore that popular books are not in stock. However, I picked up D.A. Powell's Chronic, which I'm very excited to read.


Yesterday, my friend, Mari, reminded me that yesterday would have been poet Phebus Etienne's birthday. She passed away in 2007. Meanwhile her beautiful manuscript Chainstitching remains unpublished.

I posted the article I wrote for Callaloo about Phebus on Facebook.


Hannah Stephenson said...

WOW! That bookstore looks fantastic!! :)

Happy long weekend...

Catherine said...

Yay for kid free weekends (I'm sure you love them, but we all need a break sometime)

Jessie Carty said...

I dream of making it to that bookstore someday :)


Related Posts with Thumbnails