Labor Day

Happy Labor Day. Hope folks in the U.S. are enjoying a day off from work.

Since I'm kid-free this weekend, I had every intention of knocking everything off of my to-do the list. HA! I did manage to go to Erin Dionne's annual Labor Day BBQ:--lots of fun. So today is a Labor Day of sorts for me, as I work through the items on my list, which makes my list a Labor of Love List!

****

On Saturday, Jennifer and I made a pilgrimage to the Grolier Poetry Book Shop in Cambridge, the oldest poetry bookstore in the country. Unfortunately, they were out of the books I wanted to purchase; Thomas Sayers Ellis' Skin, Inc., Terrance Hayes' Lightheaded, Rita Dove's Sonata Mulattica (everyone I know who has read Rita's book says it's amazing), and Major Jackson's Holding Company. Great for the bookstore that popular books are not in stock. However, I picked up D.A. Powell's Chronic, which I'm very excited to read.

****

Yesterday, my friend, Mari, reminded me that yesterday would have been poet Phebus Etienne's birthday. She passed away in 2007. Meanwhile her beautiful manuscript Chainstitching remains unpublished.

I posted the article I wrote for Callaloo about Phebus on Facebook.

Comments

WOW! That bookstore looks fantastic!! :)

Happy long weekend...
Catherine said…
Yay for kid free weekends (I'm sure you love them, but we all need a break sometime)
Jessie Carty said…
I dream of making it to that bookstore someday :)

Popular Posts