Time Is on My Side

5 a.m. I should be writing a poem but blogging in the mornings is much easier for me. I hear the kids in the next room starting to stir. I have a strict rule that they can't get up before 6 a.m.--they're usually pretty good about playing together or, at least, leaving mommy alone until six-zero-zero.

(I spoke too soon. Here comes Ella. Ella: "Mommy, can I come in your room yet?" Me: "No, sweetie. Not until six-zero-zero.")

****

For the next few days, I'm applying for two big fellowships. You probably know what they are but I'm afraid to jinx myself so they will remain nameless. A friend of mind says that money buys time--I'm hoping that's the case. It would be nice to devote larger chunks of time to writing. I'm usually up late at night or early in the morning working on something poetry related. But having more time would allow fewer distractions and allow me to conduct research, which my next project absolutely requires.

(Ella from her bed, "I want time to move faster!" Me: "six-zero-zero!")

If I don't receive a fellowship, nothing changes. I continue to do what I do and look for ways to gain an extra hour here and there, maybe use a babysitter with more frequency. But money also buys choice; I'm ready have a few more choices when it comes to how I spend my time.

****

One thing I did this week that has made a difference--leaving work on time. Sounds like a no-brainer, but it feels as if I've gained an extra hour to spend with the kids. Our evening routine is less compressed, which makes a smoother transition into the evening hours.

(Ella: "I really, really, really want to hop in your bed. Really." Me: "OK, Ella. Hop in." )

****

When do you find time to write? Are you a late-night person or an early riser?

(Ella: "Do octopi travel in herds?" Me: "I don't know for sure, Ella, but I doubt it. Let me research it and get back to you.")


Comments

Kathleen said…
Early morning!--great time to write, whether it's blogging, poetry, or letters.

Late night, likewise, depending on current family & biorhythms.

Since I changed/revised my life, though, I fit it in way more often, in snippets, in the whenever zone, often, in nice weather, in the back yard.
Karen J. Weyant said…
Great Post, and I can't help but think that six-zero-zero would be a great title for a poem or some type of short piece about that finding space/time to write!
Jennifer Jean said…
i write late late at night usually with a movie buzzing in the background. or do poetry related things late at night (revisions, submissions, worryings) with a movie i've already seen buzzing in the backround. occasionally in the middle of the day (because of my adjunct schedule) i write some afternoon poetry. neither time reigns in terms of clarity or quality. never can tell...
Jim K. said…
scribblets through the day,
transcription and body weave
in the late late wee of it
Jessie Carty said…
I tend to write sporadically but more in the afternoon with the teaching schedule :) I love the conversation with Ella! Good luck with the grants. I'm applying for a local one...

Popular Posts