Here’s what I know about myself after being away for a weekend at a writers’ retreat:
- All that experience writing for NaPoWriMo and Novpad challenges has served me well; however, writing seven poems in three days is a lot, even for me.
- One weekend is not nearly enough time. I’m now thinking about a weeklong class at the Fine Arts Work Center in Provincetown for the summer.
- I love talking poetry with people who “get it.” I don’t have to justify the existence of poetry or why anyone still writes it.
- I have 50 new prompts.
- I like hotels, but there’s something to be said for being very minimalistic in my surroundings and my approach.
- Thank goodness for Wi-fi.
Many of the attendees are regulars, but almost half were new writers joining the cicle. I have a feeling that if I don't sit down and revise soon, I'll lose the spirit in which these poems were written. I am grateful for the time spent away from my everyday surroundings to focus on my poetry.
Thanks to Maria and Laura for bringing me into the circle. And special thanks to Kevin and Colleen for a kick-ass weekend!