So many confessions … so little time! Be sure to let me or Carolee know about your confessions.
Goodnight Mom has hers up on her blog.
Here we go:
- AWP. AWP. AWP. I'm looking forward to this on so many levels, but none more important than I need a break from my kids. I love them dearly, and when I think about missing out on days and days of kisses I well up with tears. HOWEVER, parenting is hard, and sometimes it's best for all to step back and recharge those batteries.
- My husband and I now have this ritual where one of us makes tea for the other before we climb into bed together. I'll definitely miss that!
- I owe him big time for letting me have this time away.
- Back to AWP, I believe this is my fourth conference. I've always learned a lot from attending sessions, talking with fellow poets, and milling around the book fair for new publications. But having a book deal takes things to a whole 'nother level (my husband HATES that phrase). I feel like I have a seat at the poetry table, so to speak.
- That's not to say that I wouldn't have a good time if I didn't have a book in the works. It's just a different experience for me.
- I'll be staying with Joseph Legaspi, which is half the fun right there.
- The one must-do thing while in NYC is to go dancing. Don't want to go clubbing. But if I can find a retro bar that plays Rob Base's "It Takes Two" and Young MC's "Bust a Move," STAND BACK! I'm breaking out the Wop!
- And while all of this is great, I'm a bit mournful because I will be there without my dear friend Phebus Etienne. She passed away last year, and the last time I saw her was at the Atlanta AWP conference in March. 2008 should have been her year, not mine.
- Go PATS!!!