Happy Tuesday …eh, Monday night … everyone!
- My college friends and I have an Oscar pool every year, and this year I won! What did I win you ask? Bragging rights for the next year, and a complicated system of payback dinners bought by the losing participants, although no one ever collects. (Blog that, Special K!)
- Truth is, I saw maybe a quarter of the nominated films, down from my usual average of half. Really wasn’t into the Academy Awards this time around.
- After Oscar’s big night, and another late night in front of the TV, I decided I needed to spend less time watching Law & Order reruns and Anderson Cooper. So for this week, I’m staying away from television. I look at it as a temporary lifestyle change. Besides, I wasn’t getting much done in the evenings because I got sucked into all sorts of programming.
- OK, tonight I caught 10 minutes of a L&O episode. There. I said it.
- As I type this, I’m sitting in my newly cleaned office listening to one of my favorite albums, Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band by The Beatles. I love the arrangements on this album, how all the songs fit together line one prolonged movement. Hope it will fuel a new poem.
- I’ve also decided to listen to a different piece of music each night while I write. Tomorrow, I think I’ll listen to Coltrane.
- In other news, I got a rejection slip from The Antioch Review. A fine journal, but I can’t tell you how disgusted I was when I opened the letter and found food stains (I think they’re food stains) on the slip. The dark spots were small yet noticeable. So to The Antioch Review or any understaffed, student-run lit journal: please have the decency to wipe your food-stained hands before mailing your rejections. Yuk.
- I am reading this Friday (see previous post) and I am nervous. I mean, I have a few days before the reading yet I feel myself getting anxious. A friend says I need to make eye contact with the audience, but when I do that I lose my place and flub my lines. So Thursday night I’ll spend time with a video camera preparing for a 10 minute reading. How silly is that?
If you have something to confess, leave a note for Carolee or me and we’ll be sure to check in with your blog.