Confession Tuesday

Happy Confession Tuesday! Got something to say? Well, this is the place to say it. Share a little of yourself with us and we promise to do the same.


Last night, I was up past 1 a.m. because I hit a creative streak. I actually fought off sleep around 10 p.m. so I could read through a friend’s manuscript, edit my own second manuscript, and work on some Mass Poetry Festival planning. And now it’s about 5:30 a.m. Ugh. This is exactly what I have to avoid, but it’s hard to stop when I get into a groove.

****

So we’re at day 16 for the November PAD Challenge and … well … I’m on poem 14. Here’s what I can tell you about this challenge thus far:

  • Writing daily poems saps my energy for everything else: writing blog posts, tweets, and Facebook status updates. I have diverted all auxiliary power to poeting. Nothing left to do but dump the warp core.
  • When I don’t get enough sleep, I use phrases such as “dump the warp core” (Star Trek reference).
  • As much as I hate getting behind on the daily postings, I have to or I’ll burn out. But I don’t mind catching up a day or two later to stay in track. Usually I have poems started but don’t have enough time to finish.
  • I’m more self-conscious about putting drafts up than ever before. I feel very naked doing it. And yet I still do it.


****


East Coast meets West Coast! Join me at Porter Square Books tomorrow night at 7 as Susan Rich and I read together in Cambridge! It’s a nice warm-up to our reading in Miami at the Miami Book Fair International.

And, in Miami, I get to meet Jim Brock. Susan Rich AND Jim Brock in one week? How cool is that? Pictures to come.

****

I have a poem out in the new Ibbetson Street #28. Also in this issue is Marge Piercy, X.J. Kennedy, Kathleen Spivack, Daniel Tobin, Lyn Lifshin, Sam Cornish, Gloria Mindock, Tino Villanueva, Molly Lynn Watt and Tam Neville, to name a few.


Comments

The Aiken ite said…
How do you put your drafts on your blog and not worry that you won't be able to publish them because they are already "published." Because they are drafts?
January said…
Good question but an easy answer: I don't publish anywhere that won't take my work. As many journals and online publications out there, there are a lot of places that do take work published on personal blogs.

I also hold back on a few poems, and have been known to take some down at the request of an editor.
I will be in the audience at the Miami Book Fair. I'll be the tall, smiling woman with the strawberry blonde hair, holding a copy of your book and Susan Rich's. Safe travels!
January said…
Woo Hoo! Looking forward to meeting you, Kristin.
The Aiken ite said…
January, interesting changes in the last ten years. Blogs, FB, etc. Hard to know when you are "safe" in publishing. I like your attitude. BTW- I post a poem of the week in the sidebar of my blog. If you'd like to send me something I'll put it up. I don't care if its already been published. My goal on my mom and family blog is to introduce my readers, most of whom aren't in the lit. world, to contemporary poetry that they can find relevant to their lives. You can e-mail me mggwells@gforcecable.com i fyou are interested.

Popular Posts