Terrance Hayes


Big ups to Terrance Hayes for winning the National Book Award in poetry!

When Underlife was published, Terrance sent me the nicest note to wish me well. He’s just a classy person—the real deal. Congrats to Terrance, his beautiful wife Yona, and their family.

And, Happy Birthday!

****

Just found out that my poem, “Chocolate,” was nominated for a Pushcart Prize by Ibbetson Street (issue #28). That came out of left field. Here’s the complete list of Ibbetson’s nominees:

Karla Huston – “That Summer”– Issue 27
Joyce Meyers –”Apparitions” – Issue 27
Sheila Nickerson – ”After Haying”– Issue 27
January Gill O'Neil – ”Chocolate” – Issue 28
Marge Piercy – ”Where Dreams Come From” – Issue 28
Ginny Sullivan – ”Not Advent” – Issue 28

****

Also, I’m going to be reading at the 2011 VA Festival of the Book, March 17–20! As a Virginia native, this is the first reading in my home state. I’m thrilled to be reading at the festival, and I look forward to attending the sessions.

****

Then there’s Miami. I’m still high off of last night’s reading with Susan Rich. Could this day get any better?

****

Will get back on track for PAD challenge this weekend. I’ve been known to write poems in batches on long flights. One of the three poems I wrote on my flight to AWP in Denver became the first poem in my second collection. I’m just sayin' … it could happen!

Comments

Kathleen said…
Congratulations!
Maureen said…
I think it's marvelous Terrance Hayes won.

And congratulations to you on that Pushcart nomination. What esteemed company you share. Will keep my fingers crossed for you.

Thank you for highlighting the Festival of the Book here in Virginia.

Popular Posts