Hip Hop Speaks to Children



Yesterday, to my daughter's delight, a copy of Hip Hop Speaks to Children arrived in the mail. Ella and Alex have enjoyed Poetry Speaks to Children so much, we had to get this book and accompanying CD, which features hip hop and other related poetic forms.

Edited by Nikki Giovanni, this collection features poets and artists from Langston Hughes, Gwendolyn Brooks, and Lucille Clifton to the Sugar Hill Gang, Queen Latifah, A Tribe Called Quest, and Martin Luther King Jr. It's a nice mix of music, rhythm, beats, and meter. We're just getting into it but I'm very happy to have this companion piece to show my children the range of poets and styles out there. And, I love seeing so many beautiful brown faces in the illustrations.

****

Also in my amazon.com order was Lighthead by Terrance Hayes and Skin Inc. by Thomas Sayers Ellis.

I'm trying to restrain myself with book purchases for the rest of the year until I can catch up on the titles I have now. I have a pretty hefty stack of books on my nightstand waiting to be read. Of course, I'm going to the Miami Book Fair International next week so all bets are off.

****

Weekend To-do List

  1. Keep up with November PAD Challenge
  2. Take one last look at second manuscript; send out to three more readers for feedback
  3. Finish reading a friend's manuscript
  4. Submit poems to two publications
  5. Update my Goodreads profile
  6. Start a new fiction book. Top of the list: The Anthologist by Nicholson Baker.

Comments

The Aiken ite said…
Guess I know what's on my Amazon order for the week! Thanks.
Jennifer Jean said…
i just read "the anthologist" and it was great! lots o' lovely name dropping. and, i finally understand formal poetry... how/why it works and how/why it's important to poetry, to humanity :) the sly author won me over with his slightly sad sack main character. the novel's "crisis" is beside the point really. it's all about the po-life and po-craft. but i wonder if only po-lovers will let the plotlessness slide... let me know what you think ;)

Popular Posts