Confession Tuesday

Happy Dog Days of Summer! Share a little of your sweaty little self with us and we promise to do the same.



A friend on Facebook posted this article on creativity. The article provides links to other articles on creativity (nothing is original today; we're a society built on links). But the article most relevant for me was from The Happiness Project, which lists 12 creativity exercises--written in 1936--by writer Dorothea Brande (a true original). Her exercises help to stretch that creative thinking through novelty and challenge. Here are a few I like:
9. Cut “I mean” or “As a matter of fact” or any other verbal mannerism out of your conversation.

11. Set yourself twelve tasks at random: e.g., go twenty miles from home using ordinary conveyance; go 12 hours without food; go eat a meal in the unlikelist place you can find; say nothing all day except in answer to questions; stay up all night and work.

12. From time to time, give yourself a day when you answer “yes” to any reasonable request.
.
I tried #9 yesterday, trying not to fall into my usual tricks of speech. It was certainly an interesting exercise. I have to do more of this in my writing life.

Check out the full list from PsychCenter. Hope it sparks your creativity.

****

Yesterday when I listed my overall August priorities (eat well/exercise, save money, focus on poetry), I left out updating the family room. Our family room is a small space that's had white walls since we moved in eight years ago. It's in desperate need of an update. So this weekend, the room will get a makeover: new paint, new carpet, and a few other extras to bring the space to life.

I have a wonderful red couch and chair in the family room. Unfortunately, I'm having trouble picking a paint color to complement the furniture. Trying to avoid yellow and the "Mcdonald's" look. Yik.

****

I feel more centered than I have in a long time. Summer makes me feel directionless, but I'm much better off with plans in place and a clear path ahead. I'm better able to manage bumps in the road if everything else is moving along at a smooth pace. Maybe I'm a little less fearful these days. I'm trying to make myself open and available for new possibilities. Isn't that was creativity is all about?

****

Diving back into the manuscript again. Revisions are slow going but moving forward. I'm considering shifting the current order and adding new poems. I'll see where I am by Sept 1 and make some decisions then. Will keep you updated on my process.

Comments

mareymercy said…
The right green will look wonderful with red, and not Christmas-y at all. Like this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/merideth/184997609/
January said…
The room next to it, which we use as a bedroom, is green with a red comfort or. I was leaning toward blue for the walls. Trying to avoid beige or brown if at all possible. But whatever colors go up will be a nice change.

Thanks for the link.

Popular Posts