PAD Challenge 7

Day 7: For today's prompt, I want you to pick a plant (any plant), make that the title of your poem, and write a poem. Pretty simple. (Or is it?) Most people, including myself, immediately think of plants as organic creatures, but, of course, "plants" can also be places of employment or spies or...as you can see, there's always room for breaking outside the lines.


Two Sides

Are there two sides to every story?
I think about this as I slice a tomato in half,

the red swirl of hemispheres
divided into thick, beefy curves.

Vine ripened, savory interior
of pulp and pleasure,

fruit from a garden
I both love and hate.

One side holds what I know.
One side holds what I don’t.

One side loves completely.
One side is incapable of it.

The flesh speaks a language
I don’t understand

Hard to believe what was nurtured
from seed will end in salt

and my closed mouth wrapped
around my tongue in silence.

Comments

Jessie Carty said…
you are totally kicking arse on the PAD challenge! i love the "beefy slices" :)
January said…
Thanks Jessie!
Rethabile said…
What Jessie said, and with the same spelling of arse. I like the final silence of it, the chunky silence at the end. Guilt? Surprise? Soft contentment? I'd love to hear that explored somehow in future rewrites...

Popular Posts