Sunday, November 29, 2009

You Can Go Home Again

I'm back in Boston, baby! Spending time at Starbucks—my home away from home.

****

The PAD Challenge is mercifully coming to a close. I now have 21 drafts, including the Misery Island long poem, which I have not posted (and probably won't). Wish I could have written 30, but I'm OK with the amount I produced. In truth, it was crazy for me to attempt a writing challenge now, but maybe a healty dose of crazy was what I needed.

Three poems I liked, in no particular order.

One poem that will never see the light of day again.


So the big question for me involves the revision process. More important, do I incorporate the new stuff into my current manuscript, or start a new one? I need to set a new timetable for this. It's easy if you're trying to incorporate one new poem into a collection, but I have at least 14, including a long poem, that would certainly give the book an arc. Either way, I'll take December to do as much revision as possible, and see what manuscript #2 looks like at the end of 2009.

****

Here's a question to you, dear reader. What is your strategy for putting together a collection? I lived with the poems in Underlife for a while before theybecame a manuscript. What approach should I take with a second book? Thoughts?

5 comments:

evelyn.n.alfred said...

Wow, I should have spent my time doing this PAD challenge instead of the NaNoWriMo challenge...sounds more productive.
Anyway with that said, I've never put a collection together, so I wouldn't know how to begin to advise you on what you should do...how about grouping them using common themes? Or poetry forms if you did a group of poetry that are structured (like sonnets in one group, free verse in another, etc.)
Good luck with it, I know you will figure it out.

Cioara Andrei said...

Foarte interesant subiectul postat de tine. M-am uitat pe blogul tau si imi place ce am vazut.Cu siguranta am sa il mai vizitez.
O zi buna!

January said...

Cioara, I'm not sure what you've said here. But thanks for stopping by.

January said...

Cioara, I just found the Romanian translation for your words. Thank you very much.

January said...

Thanks Evelyn. NaPoWriMo is not for me but I think the output is the same. Both give the opportunity to write more in a specific period of time. It's a good jumpstart for any writing project.

I'm looking over my manuscript today to see what it needs. Grouping by category may be the way to go.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails